As a Girlboss, it’s essential to have the ability to focus, make tough decisions, prioritize and complete all this with social grace. Growing your career involves a long list of tasks to accomplish, dealing with time sensitive issues and days fly by more often than not. So when was the last time you took a moment to think about why and how you’re caring for your most valuable asset, your health and fitness?
To excel in your career it’s imperative you care for your energy unit, your body. You must view regular exercise as an integral part of your daily life in order to be your most motivated, focused, emotionally stable, grounded 'best' in your career and your life. Think about exercise as movement, movement creates energy, energy produces momentum. Production creates moral and higher levels of self confidence. I am of the mindset that it isn’t possible to have too much moral or self confidence in your life!
These 2 situations I encounter most often affect the enjoyment of exercise.
The weekend warrior. These women don’t value their health enough to commit to it regularly. You’ll see them literally running their hearts out attempting to make up for that pizza and wine meeting on Wednesday that’s left them bloated all week. Unfortunately, two 45 minute workouts is simply not enough. That makes up less than 1% of your week. These women will never achieve good levels of fitness and this behavior can be dangerous as we get older.
The over-exerting type A. From the outside their constant activity and perceived successes can be enviable. What gets missed on their IG story is the afternoon energy crashes that get compensated for with loads of caffeine, chronic stress, difficulty sleeping, heart palpitations, chronic injuries, chronic digestive issues and the list goes on. These women will inevitably find themselves burnt out and potentially gaining weight due to too much cortisol.
Our bodies are our vessels to explore, to make a difference in humanity, to allow our spirits to connect and enjoy this world. Fitness for the modern businesswoman should be energy creating. When your focus shifts to this respectful, health focused and kind view of your body your ideal exercise situation will too.
Here are my top 5 tips to maximize your energy levels so you can thrive in your career:
1) The most important tip is consistency. When you are consistent with exercise your body craves movement, exercise becomes energizing and replenishing.
2) On a ‘big career day’ opt for a 75% effort workout for optimal energy to carry you through.
3) Create an appointment around the same time 4-5 times a week. Your energy, digestion and scheduling will thank you.
4) Leave your phone in the locker, with a lock on it. Because you need to unplug on the daily, even if it’s only an hour. Talk to real people and give your eyes a break from the screen.
5) Have fun! Allow exercise to be a moving meditation. A reprieve, an introspective oasis full of fun tights, your favorite music and a physical and spiritual recharge.